Last weekend, 2,500 people gathered at The Goat Farm Arts Center for the largest Attach of the Killer Tomato Festival yet and raised approximately $120,000 was raised for both beneficiaries, which is almost three times the amount raised during last year’s festival.
Now in its sixth year, this year’s festival combined the creative tastes of more than 50 of the South’s top chefs, 19 impressive mixologists and more than 30 farmers who joined forces to benefit Georgia Organics and The Giving Kitchen.
In addition to doing good, there were awards given for dishes that tasted good. Killer Tomato award winners from this year include:
- Best Tasting Dish – Ted Lahey of Osteria Mattone and Table & Main won with a tomato tartar with buttermilk caviar. Partner farm: Lionheart Gardens
- Best Tasting Cocktail – Eduardo Guzman of JCT. Kitchen & Bar+ The Optimist created the “All in One Basket,” made Crop Organic vodka, Cocchi Americano, Sun Gold tomatoes, fresh Georgia peaches, Calabrese peppers, celery salt, dill and citrus. Partner farm: Dillwood Farms
- People’s Choice – Best Tasting Cocktail – Zach Capito, Vince Landi and Stuart White of Miller Unionconcocted the “The Nightshade Lightning Refresher” with Ole Smoky Moonshine, heirloom tomato water, fresh Georgia peaches and fresh basil. Partner farms: Love is Love Farm, Woodland Gardens, Crystal Organic Farm
- People’s Choice – Best Tasting Dish - Joey Ward of Gunshow won with a decadent Cherry Tomato Fried Pie with a side of tomato ice cream. Partner farm: Serenbe Farms
photo courtesy of JCT. Kitchen & Bar
- BB&T Atlanta Open – Ace your weekend plans with a trip to Atlantic Station to see some of tennis’s best players square off against each other on the courts.
- Atlanta Falcons Youth Weekend - Atlanta Falcons Youth Weekend will take place Saturday, July 26 and Sunday, July 27, during which children ages 17 and under will have the opportunity meet Atlanta Falcons cheerleaders and enter several contests to win prizes.
- Boutique Bargains Warehouse Sale -S hop The Original Boutique Warehouse Sale for up to 70% off of designer looks on Friday and Saturday, July 25th and 26th at Shops Around Lenox.
- Carnival Science Day at the Fernbank Museum of Natural History - Embrace your inner-scientist! Enjoy special performances, lively demonstrations, a variety of carnival games and more. Fun includes Imperial Opa hoop dancers, stilt walkers and musicians, game corner, tattoo station, a nano technology station, and more!
- Atlanta Zombie Pub Crawl – Hosted by Diesel Filling Station, known for hosting Atlanta’s largest weekly “The Walking Dead” TV viewing parties, this unique event will feature several pubs on the N. Highlands stretch, as well as professional zombie make-up artists, special guests, exclusive food & drink specials, a Zombie Costume Contests, After-Party and more!
- Atlanta Ice Cream Festival – This fun event features America’s Favorite Dessert – ICE CREAM, but also includes a variety of health and wellness agencies, fitness routines, vendors and so much more fun for the entire family to enjoy.
- Beer Tasting at Vine & Tap – The first installment of the monthly Vine & Tap beer tastings on the deck with the great Jailhouse Brewery from Hampton, GA. They will be bringing a jockey box, some great beer, and Swag! The restaurant will have a Green Egg on the deck with our burgers and brats.
- Coca-Cola Film Festival presents Gone With the Wind – See a classic Atlanta story on the big screen at the city’s most historic theatre.
- Pony Rides and Petting Zoo at the MJCCA – Come join us for a fantastic morning with the kids at the MJCCA with pony rides around our pony ring, fun with tons of animals in our visiting petting zoo, music, all you can eat ice pops, and more. Please note that only children ages 4-7 will be able to ride the ponies. Fee listed is per child.
- FREE Blue & Gray Saturdays in Sandy Springs – This summer, see history come alive with re-enactors depicting life during the Civil War. Confederate and Union Soliders will share their stories of warfare and women will portray precarious life on the home front. Learn about Civil War life with period re-enactors and enjoy the new exhibition “The Civil War in Sandy Springs.”
Want more? Check out our full Event Calendar here.
Few things go better together than beer and Buffalo wings. To one-up the classic combo, Chef Nick McCormick of TAP recently created Tap’s “Hopcorn” & Buffalo Pork Rinds. He said, “the idea was to a play on beer and buffalo wings and somehow take those flavors and turn it in to a bar snack. The “HopCorn” is a custom flavor I created with Caja Popcorn where I am basically trying to replicate a pale ale. It’s a candied corn that is seasoned with beer extract powder and hop botanicals. The Hops help give it a citrusy aroma with a bitter finish. The Buffalo pork rinds are seasoned with vinegar powder, Cayenne, paprika, and onion powder. I think it goes really well with any Ale or I.P.A., it helps to bring out the hops in the hopccorn and plays well with the buffalo seasoning” (image courtesy of TAP)
Get a taste of what’s to come at Ladybird Grove & Mess Hall during a tasting hosted by the Gastro Gnome Grub Club on Monday, July 28. Starting at 6:30 p.m. the first hour will feature cocktails and seasonal fruit on the patio, followed by supper at 7:30 p.m.
A new Fadó Irish Pub location will open in the first quarter of 2015 where La Tagliatella was in the Metropolis building at 919 Peachtree Street NE. Fadó pairs Irish traditions with Dublin’s modern pub culture to offer high quality food, drink and banter. Fadó showcases a dining experience similar to those in Dublin, which exhibit seasonal food menus that rival the best restaurants, craft beers from local breweries and housemade cocktails. Continue reading
With the start of school just a few days away, there’s another reason to check your child’s take-home folder because being a PTA member has it’s benefits. Not only are you part of the in-the-know crowd at school but your child also gets a FREE haircut at Three-13 Salon, Spa & Boutique in Marietta.
To get the discount, all you have to do is present your current PTA membership card at check-out and once per school year your child’s haircut is FREE!
Each year the Atlanta BeltLine brings art to miles of pathway through Atlanta and now they’re asking for $150.000 via URUUT, an Atlanta-based crowd-funding platform, to help fund the fifth annual Art on the Atlanta BeltLine exhibition.
Now the largest temporary public art exhibition in the southeast, Art on the Atlanta BeltLine returns this fall with nearly 100 works of visual and performing art. Every dollar raised will go directly to support the exhibition and artists’ work. Donations are tax-deductible and can be made online here.
“Art on the Atlanta BeltLine has captured the community’s imagination and embodies our aspirations for the city,” said Paul Morris, President and CEO of Atlanta BeltLine, Inc. “The largest exhibition in the city’s history is now in the national spotlight, and this year everyone will have the opportunity to help make it great. We want the fifth year to be the biggest yet, bringing more art to our communities.”
This year’s event will kick off with the annual Atlanta BeltLine Lantern Parade on September 6, with the the free exhibition running through November 15.
image courtesy of atlantaintownpaper.com
Each year, Share Our Strength hosts a dinner featuring some of Atlanta’s best chefs and sommeliers for a special evening benefitting Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign, which is dedicated to ending childhood hunger in America.
This year, on August 17the annual Give Me Five dinner at Cherokee Town and Country Club centers around five exquisite courses prepared by acclaimed local chefs, complemented by fine wines selected by some of the area’s most celebrated sommeliers. Guests will enjoy a cocktail reception beginning at 5 p.m., as well as live and silent auctions throughout the night.
Featured chefs at the event include Michael Deihl (A Kitchen Kalamity) along with Sean Woods (Cherokee Town and Country Club), Jonathan Beatty (Ecco), Meherwan Irani (Chai Pani), Eli Kirshtein (The Luminary), Dave Snyder (Halyards and Tramici) and Kathleen Miliotis (Davio’s Northern Italian Steakhouse).
Each course will be matched with an accompanying wine paired by one of Atlanta’s Atlanta’s finest sommeliers, inlacing Sommelier Chair Silvio Garcia (Cherokee Town and Country Club), Harry Constantinescu (The Juice Box), Dorine Buche (BLT Steak), Juan Cortes (Restaurant Eugene) and Perrine Prieur (Perrine’s Wine Shop).
Attendees will also enjoy live entertainment and live and silent auctions featuring a variety of luxury items including special donations from each participating chef. Auction items will include stunning jewelry, rich wines, travel packages and intimate in-home chef dinners. The event will be emceed by Jenn Hobby of Kicks 101.5.
Tickets are $275 per person and $2,500 for a table of 10. Tickets can be purchased online at www.givemefivedinner.org.
Calling all artists! Broadway in Atlanta has partnered with the Atlanta Foundation for Public Spaces to debut the Broadway Bound: Atlanta Artist Competition and they want you to submit your best, original artwork showcasing a vivid vision of the 2014/2015 Fifth Third Bank Broadway in Atlanta Series and the city of Atlanta.
The upcoming theater season will feature the Atlanta premieres of Disney’s Newsies,Pippin, Motown the Musical, Dirty Dancing, and Disney’s The Little Mermaid. Also taking the stage will be The Phantom of the Opera, Blue Man Group, and Broadway’s biggest blockbuster Wicked and crowd pleaser Mamma Mia!
Through September 15, 2014, artists are invited to submit their best original artwork that illustrates a vision of the 2014/2015 Fifth Third Bank Broadway in Atlanta Series and the city of Atlanta. To submit their artwork, contestants should visit www.broadwayinatlanta.com/artcontest to enter and read Official Rules and submission guidelines.
Judging will commence on September 16, with up to five finalists selected by October 17. Eligible Finalist artwork will be evaluated by Broadway in Atlanta, Atlanta Foundation for Public Spaces and a public vote. Public voting on eligible Finalist submissions will begin October 18, and any Grand Prize Winner will be revealed at the opening night of Dirty Dancing on Tuesday, November 25, 2014.
Up to four finalists will receive two tickets for the opening night of one performance in the 2014-2015 Broadway in Atlanta series!
The talented Grand Prize winner will receive two tickets to the opening night of each remaining performance in the 2014-2015 Broadway in Atlanta series and the potential for exclusive press opportunities.
For Official Rules, submission guidelines and complete details, visit www.broadwayinatlanta.com/artcontest.
First came Frozen Pints, the beer-infused ice cream featuring flavors like Honey IPA and Moo Hoo Mint. Now, under the umbrella of The Ice Cream Bar, the same company is launching a wider variety of ice cream and sorbet made with liquor, craft beer, and alcohol.
“From White Russian to Malted Milk Chocolate Stout, we create flavors inspired by classic cocktails, modern mixology, and craft beer,” explains Fleischer. “Each dessert is delicious and distinct, with one thing in common: ABV.”
In addition to the beer ice cream products already for sale, The Ice Cream Bar is now offering four distinct liquor flavors that pack a punch, ranging from 8.0% to 8.4% ABV- Mojito Sorbet, Bourbon Butter Pecan, White Russian, and Brandy Alexander Chip.
Much like their craft beer ice cream offerings, consumers can also expect a series of limited edition liquor ice cream and sorbet flavors to hit the shelves in the coming months.
Distributed through Savannah Distributing Company, The Ice Cream Bar is now available throughout Metro Atlanta. To find a store near you carrying The Ice Cream Bar’s offerings visit www.theicecreambar.com.
photo courtesy of The Ice Cream Bar